A healthier version of lasagna.
Source: American Heart Association Cookbook
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. fresh ground turkey
- 3 cups no-salt added tomato sauce
- 2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- black pepper
- 1 10oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 2 cups (1 lb) low-fat cottage cheese
- dash nutmeg
- 1 8oz pkg lasagna noodles (I use the no pre-cook ones)
- 8 oz part-skim mozzarella, grated
Pre-heat oven to 375 F
In a non-stick skillet over med-high heat, combine onion, mushrooms, garlic and ground turkey. Saute until turkey is no longer pink. Cover pan and continue to cook until mushrooms have released juices, then uncover and evaporate juices over high heat. Add tomato sauce, basil, oregano and pepper. Reduce heat.
In a bowl; stir spinach, cottage cheese and nutmeg together well. Set aside.
Cook noodles according to package directions (or use no-cooking required noodles)
Lay one-third of noodles on bottom of sprayed 9×13 baking dish; add one-half of spinach mixture, one-third of tomato sauce and one-third of cheese. Repeat layers once. Finish with 1 layer of noodles, one-third of sauce and remaining cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 35-40 minutes.